- About the Study
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Meet Our Team
- New York: Columbia University Medical Center
- Ontario: Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute of Mt. Sinai Hospital
- Philadelphia: Fox Chase Cancer Center, the University of Pennsylvania and The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- San Francisco Bay Area: Cancer Prevention Institute of California
- Utah: Huntsman Cancer Institute
- Legacy Girls Visits
- Personal Experiences
- For Girls
- For Researchers
- Contact Us
Legacy Girls Visits:Ontario
Name of Site: Samuel Lunenfield Research Institute at Mt. Sinai Hospital
1. WHERE do LEGACY study visits take place?
First visits will happen downtown Toronto at The LEGACY Girls Study Main Office located within the Princess Margaret Hospital on the 8th floor, Room 8-502A.
The LEGACY Girls Study Main Office is located in a quiet, research-only, non-treatment area of Princess Margaret Hospital, especially designed to ensure a good visit for you and your daughter.
6 month follow-up visits will be arranged at your convenience at either:
- The LEGACY Girls Study Main Office , Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto
- The Juravinski Cancer Centre located in Hamilton
- Your house (Yes, we can come to you!)
Ontario LEGACY Girls Study visits offer your daughter:
- A truly unique educational experience, teaching how real data is collected and why her participation is so important.
- The chance to be a junior scientist, wear a lab coat, visit a real laboratory and learn how her samples are stored.
- Fun, interactive visits with colourful crafts and chalkboard walls for downtime between measurements.
- IPADS loaded with lots of games and internet access for older girls.
- free drinks and snacks
- Choice of thank-you gifts: Webkinz grab bags, Cineplex movie passes for mom/friend and me, $20 Chapters or Walmart gift cards, or 5 hours high school community service hours.
- Certificate of appreciation, signed by Dr. Irene Andrulis , Lead Toronto Scientist, mailed directly to your daughter after each yearly visit to acknowledge her significant contribution to research and express our gratitude.
2. WHEN do LEGACY visits take place?
Appointments are scheduled at your convenience. We know how busy your family is and value your time. It’s your choice….check your calendar and book your LEGACY visit when your daughter is out of school (PA day, summer, Christmas, or March break holiday or a free Saturday) or just decide to take a break mid-week and make it a date for time together doing something good.
Typically our clinics run:
- Monday through Friday, between 8:30 AM and 6PM.
- Saturday appointments between 10AM – 3PM.
- After hours arrangements available – just ask!
3. WHAT happens during a LEGACY visit:
After the appointment is scheduled you will receive a packet in the mail items for you to review and complete prior to the home visit. Included will be such things as the study consent and assent forms for you and your daughter and links to on-line self-administered study questionnaires, or hard copies, if preferred.
At your first visit, the study coordinator will go over the CONSENT/ASSENT Forms with you and your daughter(s) and answer any questions you may have before asking you to sign the forms .
Your daughter’s participation involves:
- Collection of a first morning urine sample at home;
- Body measurement (foot size, weight, height, hip, waist, body composition) at clinic;
- Optional collection of a small blood sample using EMLA patches so it’s ouchfree or the collection of a small saliva sample
- For daughters 10 years or older, two self-administered questionnaires (one on puberty and development and the other on health behaviors, knowledge and feelings) and the completion of a quick, painless light test called ‘Breast Optical Spectroscopy’
Parent/guardian participation involves:
- Fill out questionnaires at home about your daughter’s birth weight and length, her exercise history, her pubertal development, your family’s cancer history, and health behaviors, knowledge and feelings;
- An face-to face interview about your daughter’s health, medical history, and family environment at your clinic visit;
- Provide a one time blood sample
- If you like your first LEGACY visit, we ask you to refer a friend, family member or colleague (with or without a cancer family history) with a daughter between the ages 6-13 years.
AT each visit:
- Mother/Guardian participants receive a gift at each visit to cover travel/parking expenses.
- Daughters receive a choice between a: Webkinz gift pak, Chapters/Walmart gift card, 2 free Cineplex movie passes (for mom or a friend) OR 5 hours community service certificate
- Daughters will be mailed a specially signed LEGACY Girls Study Certificate of Appreciation after each yearly visit thanking her for making a difference to science.