- About the Study
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Meet Our Team
- New York: Columbia University Medical Center
- Ontario: Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute of Mt. Sinai Hospital
- Philadelphia: Fox Chase Cancer Center, the University of Pennsylvania and The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- San Francisco Bay Area: Cancer Prevention Institute of California
- Utah: Huntsman Cancer Institute
- Legacy Girls Visits
- Personal Experiences
- For Girls
- For Researchers
- Contact Us
Legacy Girls Visits:San Francisco Bay Area
San Francisco Bay Area LEGACY Girls Study
1. WHERE do LEGACY Girls Study visits take place?
Study visits typically take place in participants’ homes, but other arrangements can be made. For example, we can schedule the study visit at our offices at the Cancer Prevention Institute of California (CPIC) located in Fremont, CA.
The San Francisco Bay Area LEGACY Girls Study visits offer your daughter:
- A truly unique educational experience, teaching how research data are collected and why her participation is so important
- Use of an iPad / Tablet with games and internet access during the visit
- Free drinks and snacks
- The possibility of community service hours for their study participation for older girls
- A certificate of appreciation, signed by Dr. Esther John , Lead Scientist, mailed directly to your daughter after each yearly visit that acknowledges your daughter’s contribution to research
- A $20 gift card at each visit
2. WHEN do LEGACY Girls Study visits take place?
Appointments are scheduled at the convenience of our participants. We know how busy you are! Many of our visits take place after school hours or weekday evenings. Weekend visits are also popular.
Click here to schedule your LEGACY Girls Study visit today
3. WHAT happens during a LEGACY Girls Study visit?
After the appointment is scheduled you will receive a packet in the mail containing items for you to review and complete prior to the home visit. Included will be such things as the study consent form and copies of the questionnaires. If you prefer to complete the questionnaires online, we can send you an email with links to the questionnaires.
At the first visit, the interviewer will go over the consent forms with you and your daughter(s) and answer any questions you may have before asking you to sign the forms .
Your daughter’s participation involves:
- Body measurement (foot size, weight, height, hip and waist size, body fat)
- Collection of a small blood sample
- Collection of a first morning urine sample
- For daughters 10 years or older, two self-administered questionnaires (one on puberty and development and the other on health behaviors, knowledge and feelings)
Parent/guardian participation involves:
- An interview about your daughter’s health, medical history, and family environment
- Filling out questionnaires (which may be completed prior to the visit if you choose to do so) on your daughter’s birth weight and length, her exercise history, her pubertal development, your family’s cancer history, and your health behaviors, knowledge and feelings
- Providing contact information of other families who you know with daughters aged 6-13 years who might also be interested in participating in the LEGACY Girls Study
4. HOW do we show our appreciation for your participation?
At each visit:
- Mother/Guardian participants receive a gift card
- Each participating daughter receives a gift card
- Daughters will receive a certificate of appreciation, signed by Dr. Esther John, Lead Scientist of the San Francisco Bay Area LEGACY Girls Study, mailed directly to your daughter after each yearly visit that thanks her for her contribution to research and expresses our gratitude.